My favorite type of recipe is one you know so well you can improvise a little. I feel like that about squash casserole. I can't even remember how many times I've made it, but I do know I don't need a recipe because I know all the ingredients and basic quantities. I was making one last weekend and decided to use Banner Butter, an local Atlanta favorite, for some added flavor. I was hoping it would be good, and I wrote down the ingredients just in case. It was a major hit with the family, and also makes perfect leftovers, so try it this holiday season.
Local Fact: it's also available on Delta! Delta's new program for using local food is AMZING and makes me an even bigger fan of theirs. They also serve Honeysuckle Gelato, so when you fly, FLY DELTA, and get a taste of the #ATL.
Banner Butter Squash Casserole
Heat oven to 350
Prep time: 20-25 min
Bake time: 30-40 min
- 5 Summer Squash
- 1/2 a package of Roasted Garlic, Basil and Parsley Banner Butter
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1.5 cups Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Ritz Crackers or other crackers of your choice, broken up
- Preheat oven to 350
- Chop onions
- Cut your half package of Banner Butter into thirds
- Saute your onions in 1/3 of the Banner Butter and salt and pepper until onions are soft.
- Slice the 5 squash and set to boil in salted water + 1/3 Banner Butter. Boil until soft.
- Drain the squash and pour into a mixing bowl.
- Mash the squash with a potato masher about 5 times... just to break it up a little.
- Add sour cream, parmesan cheese, 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and the last 1/3 Banner Butter into the bowl and mix together.
- Put mixture into a greased casserole dish
- Top with crackers and remaining cheddar cheese. Feel free to use more cheese if you like.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.