Those of us from the South know Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens can be enjoyed year round, not just at New Year's. I've enjoyed them with my family all months of the year, but it's especially fun around Jan 1st when you believe stuffing your face with them will bring you money and good luck in the coming year.
Those of you who are regular TPL readers (thank you!) know that I adore Garnish & Gather (seen here and here). Garnish & Gather is a service that sources local items from farms and gives you everything you need to make the featured meal that week. This week's recipe by Chef Nick Melvin is called "Good Luck Soup with Bacon, Collards & Black Eyed Peas," and it is delicious. Emily Golub, the founder of G & G, gave me permission to start featuring some of the meals on here, and I am so excited! What an awesome treat for you guys! The food is as good as any restaurant food, and you can make it at home. Holla.
Without further ado, I give you "Good Luck Soup."
You will need:
- 2 Slices of Bacon (the bacon in the pack was from Pine Street Market here in Atlanta)
- 1 Clove Garlic, 1/2 Carrot, 1/2 Cup Onion, 1/3 celery - all chopped together and known as "soup Starter"
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Jalapeño
- 3/4 Cup Farro
- 1/2 Bunch Collard Greens
- 1 Cup Doux South Little Rock Caviar - Available here, or locally at Star Provisions.
- 1 Chicken Bullion Cube
- 1 Scallion
- Salt and Pepper
Step 1: Cook Bacon & Prep Jalapeno
- Dice Bacon
- Heat a large pot over medium heat
- Add bacon to pot & cook 3-4 min, until it begins to brown but isn't quite crisp
- Slice jalapeño and discard seeds, then small dice
Step 2: Cook Farro & Prep Collards
- Add "Soup Starter", jalapeño, farro, and salt & pepper to bacon
- Saute 5-7 minutes, stirring often
- Remove stems from collards & discard
- Chop leaves of collards into bite sized pieces
- Drain brine from Little Rock Caviar
Cook Collards & Black Eyed Peas
- Add collards, Little Rock Caviar, 4 cups water & bouillon cube, and bay leaf to farro & bring to a boil
- Reduce to simmer & cook 20 minutes
- Thinly slice the scallions
Plate Meal & Enjoy
- Scoop soup into bowls, garnish with scallions & enjoy!
Thank you for reading!
If you are new to TPL and enjoyed this post, you might also enjoy: